Monday, October 5, 2009

It's 6am...

Tucker decided to wake up REALLY early, so I figured what better time than now to write a movie review!

So, I went and saw Tyler Perry's "I Can Do Bad All By Myself". Actually, I didn't go see it on my own accord. I was coerced into seeing a movie, and only after I found myself in the car with these friends did I learn of which movie we were going to watch.

If you don't know who Tyler Perry is, allow me to give the very little info I know of him to set the stage for my opinion of his latest movie. He's made some movies. He has a TV show. And he owns his own studio set in Atlanta. Don't you feel like you know him so well now?

The other major piece of information about Tyler Perry is that he has made his fortune by portraying middle class black America in humorous ways. For me, I have never watched his TV show (I think it's on TBS). And this is the first Tyler Perry movie I have ever seen. So this review is coming from a well-informed person.

So I'm working on vulnerability in my life. Hopefully I can achieve some level of that here. If this movie is a good representation of how all of Perry's stuff is, I will not be seeking them out. For me, "I Can Do Bad All By Myself" was way too predictable, poorly written, disjointed, too musical, and just all together bad. As the Boston Globe said, "Tyler Perry can do bad all by himself, too."

There were definite laughing spots in the movie. The characters of Madea and her husband (both played by Perry) are hilarious. But it seemed to me that the reason why they were in this movie was to guarantee that fans of Madea (who has appeared in most of Perry's other movies) would come and see this one. Madea and her husband had roles in this movie that, quite honestly, didn't need to be there. It almost made it seem like Perry was writing two separate movies, couldn't figure out an ending to one or a beginning to the other, and then slapped them together.

Another major negative I had with the movie is how much performed music was in it. I felt like I was watching a musical. I have nothing against musicals. I love "The Sound of Music", "The Music Man", and "Guys and Dolls", but I didn't pay to see a musical. Again, it seemed like all of the music was thrown in there to fill time and space.

Yes, there were great themes of love, second chances, and forgiveness, but they were completely clouded over by the poor writing and plot design.

So I guess if you like all the stuff I didn't, then go see it and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment