Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Thoughts from Holland, MI

For the past ten days, I have been trudging through almost two feet of snow for one mile twice daily (follow that?). I spent half of my childhood in central Indiana, so I am very accustomed to snow. But even after ten days of it, I am ready to leave it. It's great to visit.

During the trudging, I have had a good deal of time to think and reflect on many topics. I decided when I got here that I would carry a journal with me and begin the practice of writing down ideas, sayings, thoughts, and conversations that catch my attention. As I was reading over the things that I have already written down, I figured that this would be a great place to share some. So here we go:
  • God is not at the forefront of my mind regularly. He should be. He needs to be. My struggle is that I'll get into "Caleb-mode". For example, I will have a planning meeting for something, and instead of thinking of God and His mission, I think of my desires and what I think the mission should be. Many times when I go to sporting events at the local schools, I will inevitably go in with the mindset of "this is my job"/"this is what I need to be doing". Instead, I need to walk in thinking and praying, "God, lead me into conversations with people and show me how to show them You."
  • One of the classic "salvation" questions has been, "If you die tonight, what would happen to you?" I'm beginning to think that question is faulty. Instead, I think the question should be, "If you wake up tomorrow, who will you follow?" The previous incorrect phrasing puts the focus of salvation on the end result. It makes "being saved" as a ticket to not "burning in hell." But isn't following Jesus about life today? Isn't the real question about who or what one will follow every moment through the day? Because if I place my computer over God, then my priorities are out of place. If I place my kids over God, then my priorities are out of place. If I place my Wii over God, then my priorities are out of place. Shouldn't our concern be who/what we follow, and not where we're going to end up?
  • Over the course of a two-hour class here at seminary, a classmate ate an entire container of Altoids. I wonder if he was trying to help his intestines smell better.
  • Just a thought to ponder: Christianity is not simply learning about the incarnation of Jesus. It's taking on and living out the incarnation of Jesus.
If you have thoughts that you would like to respond with, please do. Would love to have conversations with anyone and everyone about these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment